Sunday, April 11, 2010

SHAFT

Willy: Listen, Snow White. Me and you gonna tangle, sooner or later. Did you hear what I say?
Shaft: Why don't you stop playing with yourself, Willy? You ain't gonna do SHIT!


Ah finally SHAFT, and thank god it wasn't that crap-o-rama Shaft 2000. I enjoy Samuel L Jackson as much as the next guy, but that was pretty horrible.

Back to the real Shaft, first thing that really stood out and I never really noticed any previous times I've watched Shaft: the AUDIO is GARBAGE. I guess my ears are a bit more sensitive to it now since I've had to deal with audio problems in my own projects but I was really distracted by the bad audio mix of music and dialogue, the bad voice overs, and sound effects. Actually I enjoyed sound effects, they are significant of the times and established that 70's blaxploitation feel.

Shaft is that classic BAD ASS character that most people love to watch. Does what he wants to do and says what he wants to say, no one is as cool as Shaft. I understand why this character was such an inspiration to the black movement. Shaft was a non-watered down, and hyper realistic black character that hadn't been seen beforehand.

I remember what it was like the first time I saw a strong character that looked like me (Asian) in a movie or on television, I had an unexplainable feeling of pride and connection to the character.

"Who was it?" you ask?

Believe it or not...Mr Miyagi. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment